Housing Home Page> > >Research

Salvation Army - Meighen Retirement Residence

Office phone: 416-481-5557
Fax: 416-481-8540
E-mail: mrrinfo@sa-mhc.ca
Web site: www.sa-mhc.ca
Address: 84 Davisville Ave, Toronto, ON, M4S 1G1

Location: (Intersection) Toronto North (Yonge St-Davisville Ave)
Ward: St Paul's (Ward 22)
Officers: Major Marie Osborne, Director
Contacts: Vicki Wootton, Director of Care
Hours: Mon-Fri 8-4
Languages of service: English
Eligibility: Ambulatory seniors 60 years and over who are able to live independently
How to apply: Call for appointment and application
Fees: Vary for different services
Physical access: Wheelchair accessible building including main entrance - braille elevator, lowered buttons
Service description: Retirement home
  • no smoking or alcoholic beverages
  • private accommodation
  • capacity 83
  • doctors on call, nurses on duty
  • chiropody, physiotherapy
  • social and recreation programs
  • nonsectarian
Organization type: Non Profit, Registered Charity Subjects Retirement homes Other Services See List Record ID MET3044 Last complete update 2008-02-27 Last modification date 2008-03-31

Ve'ahavta: The Canadian Jewish Humanitarian and Relief Committee

Office phone: 416-964-7698
Toll-free phone: 1-877-582-5472
Fax: 416-964-6582
E-mail: mail@veahavta.org
Web site: www.veahavta.org

Ewart Angus Homes

Ewart Angus Homes
Office phone 416-544-0689
Fax 416-544-1612
Web site www.sprint-homecare.ca
Address 268 Merton St, Toronto, ON, M4S 1A9

Location (Intersection) Toronto North (Mount Pleasant Rd and Davisville Ave)
Contacts Leah-Anne Chirico, Program Manager, 416-447-1474 ext 223
Languages of service English
Eligibility Persons with early to mid-stage Alzheimer Disease or related dementia
Fees Subsidies available
Physical access Wheelchair accessible building including main entrance and barrier free washrooms
Service description Residential home
  • capacity 20
  • safe, secure home-like setting
  • staffed by personal support workers
  • 24 hour care
  • daily support programs
  • services provided by Senior Peoples' in North Toronto (SPRINT)

Organization type Non Profit ; Registered Charity
Last complete update 2012-01-30

TPA applies to

Untitled Document
Housing Home Page > > > FAQ from The Tenant’s Survival Manual > > >The Tenant Protection Act > > >To whom does the TPA apply?
To whom does the TPA apply?

Whether you rent a house, a basement apartment, a rented condominium, or a high-rise apartment, the law covers you. The TPA also applies to residents of rooming houses in many cases.

If you share either bathroom or kitchen facilities with the landlord, the TPA does not cover your situation. This means that if you are having problems with your landlord but you share a kitchen and/or bathroom with him, you cannot go to the Tribunal to enforce your rights. Please call the Tenant Hotline at 416-921-9494 if this is happening to you.      

Also, if you share an apartment or rent a room from another tenant in an apartment but are not on the lease, you may not be covered by the TPA. To get protection under the TPA, it is important that you ensure you are recognized as a tenant in that unit.

Residents of non-profit housing co-operatives or “co-ops” are not covered by the TPA. The operation of non-profit co-ops is governed by the Co-operative Corporations Act.

While the TPA does cover tenants who live in non-profit and public housing (for issues of evictions and privacy, for example), most of the rules on rent increases do not apply, to tenants in non-profit or public housing.

Non-profit housing is owned by either local governments or private non-profit corporations. These corporations operate the rental buildings with the financial help of either the City or federal government. In non-profit housing, tenants pay either rent geared to income (30% of income) or a “market” rent.

Public housing in Toronto is run by the Toronto Housing Authority on behalf of the province of Ontario. In public housing, all tenants are Rent Geared to Income tenants.

There are other special rules and exemptions under the TPA regarding tenants who live in care homes. If you live in a care home you may wish to contact a specialty legal clinic such as the Advocacy Centre for the Elderly (phone 416-598-2656), or ARCH: A Legal Resource Centre for Persons with Disabilities (phone 416-482-8255), or contact your local community legal clinic for advice.

Syndicate content